Re: Battery

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery
From: "Richard Dell" <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:57:34 -0500
Just a couple of personal comments on Batteries.

I used to use Sears DieHards. My experience was that they die fast and they
die hard. I had four or five of them before I started reading the battery
tech reviews.

The Sears DieHard is not made as well as many other batteries on the market.
They make their money by the fact that most people don't bother returning
one when they do give out.

The battery that most often rates the highest is the Interstate. I have had
a great many of them and they are well worth the money. They are best rated
for cold cranking amps, performance under extremes, and longevity.

The latest advance on the market is the Optima, which is a gell pack
battery. I have one now in my TF. The leakdown rate is much less than
lead-acid batteries and you never need to worry about acid spills or
refilling. In fact, you can mount it upside down if you want to. Lots of
off-roaders and racers use the Ultima since it will not leak acid even if
the car is turned on it's side. There is no acid to leak.

I've had one in my Jensen-Healey for about 5 years and it has been great.

Dick Dell
MGTF
Jensen-Healey
Jag E-type