Almost Ready to Rock & Roll

To: mgb-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Almost Ready to Rock & Roll
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:54:42 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Safety Fasters,

Almost ready to fire up the 75 B  with a rebuilt  TR8 3.5 / 5 speed
embedded within.  Since this is my first time doing this sort of thing (a
conversion newby), I thought I might canvas the list to get a last minute
check of tips and suggestions  from some of you experts. After 7 months of
assembly, I don't want to screw something up now.  Thanks for your patience
and help.

Some of the key things I've got ready:  Please feel free to holler if I've
done something wrong or have forgotten something obvious or  significant.

1.  fluids filled  in radiator, engine, trans, diff, brakes, clutch, gas
tank
2.  oil pump packed with petroleum jelly, remote oil filter pre-filled
3.  no leaks or drips (yet ?)
4.  electricals all hooked up, I hope.  rover alternator hooked up, starter
hooked up - I'm not sure I've got the small wires hooked to the right
terminals on the solenoid - can't see any  identification marks on the GM
solenoid
5.  ground strap installed from transmission behind the gaskets to the
cross member
6.   instruments reinstalled so I'm ready to see oil pressure and coolant
temp
7.  fuel and vacuum lines all installed and checked
8.  crankshaft rotated to #1 tdc and rotor pointing to #1.  Dist. back out
attempting to turn the oil      pump to lubricate the rebuilt but never
been run engine.  I'll have the timing light on to get 10 degrees before
tdc when cranking before starting.  Is that the  right way ?  I've got the
   Tuning the Rover V8 book, but it dispenses with the basic stuff.  Is
there a good reference for basic engine timing / tuning ?  I prefer to go
by a book.
9.  Planning to follow the Jim Stuart guidance from a couple weeks ago to
start it and let it run  at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes to break in the
bearings / rings. I was quite impressed that you set up and started it  on
the first turn, Jim.
10.Carter 500 carb is set up just like it came out of the box except for a
restrictor plate from Glen  underneath.  Any mixture / speed adjustments
needed pre start ?

Patience, please:  only a  few  more questions:

1.  with the oil pump packed with grease do I still need to turn the oil
pump with a drill to get oil flowing - I don't have a tool and haven't
found one locally.   I understand I can just turn the engine with the
starter ( distibutor in and plugs out ) to get the oil flowing before
trying to start it.

2.  I see from the wiring diagram that  the coil / electrical system in a
75 B (non catalytic converter) is not  ballasted to reduce the voltage -
unless that saw tooth looking line is the resistor.  Do I need to install
something to drop the voltage to keep from burning up the inside of the
distributor ?

3.  The new borg warner fuel pump runs and runs but doesn't pump any gas.
I didn't think I needed to prime the pump / fill the suction line with gas,
but do I ?

4.  Transmission  is rebuilt but seems unusually hard to move the shifter
- feels like the shifter linkage has some resistance, it squeaks like it's
being moved through or against  a hard plastic clamp or bushing. Seems to
have the most friction moving fore and aft rather than left to right.  Same
feeling  with clutch engaged or disengaged.  Is that right ?  Will it
loosen as it breaks in ? I don't think I hammered the tunnel out enough,
but it's touching up at the front of the transmission case, not close to
the shift linkage.

Hope I haven't worn you out.  Seems like I'm very close, but with all these
questions, maybe I've got a little longer than I thought.

Thanks again for the great help,

Cheers and Safety Faster with a V8,

Rick