New Installation

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Installation
From: "Bruce" <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:39:22 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have just installed my Rover 3.5 (for the first time) into my 1974 (11/74)
MGB.
Some problems I have encountered (listed below) I am need of advise to help
me solve them, and some problems are listed for other people to be aware of.

1) The hydraulic throw out bearing which I purchased from D & D is giving me
grief. I can set it up to within .100 - .125 as is recommended in the
information pamphlet but there is no set screw to hold it in place. When I
then pull the hoses out through the transmission access hole this turns the
bearing and would result in the dimension changing. Also I can rock the
bearing quite significantly on the threaded collar. (I will contact D & D
about this)
2) The original Rover starter will not fully insert into the transmission
housing. I am not sure if just grinding off some of the aluminum from the
tranny housing will allow it to go in or not?
(I will contact D & D about this)
3) I purchased a radiator for a 1963 Ford Falcon and the inlet (top) exits
right into the path of the fan. This is easily solved by having the local
rad shop cut off the inlet and replace with either a 90 degree bend or a
double 90 degree bend to head the hose back towards the thermostat. This in
turns looks as if a straight thermostat housing unit would work better than
the existing one which enters the engine with an upwards angle.
4) I have just discovered that with the 1974 (commissioned 11/74) the engine
compartment has to be altered to allow the hugger style headers to fit.
5) I am using a T5 Camero transmission and back by the tail there are 2
protrusions which have holes through them, to be bolted to something, which
while trying to install the engine hung up on the MGB rear cross member.
Made it real had to get the engine in. When I pull the engine I will use a
belt sander and remove these.
6) I am using a Edelbrock 2198 Intake and a Edlebrock 1404 card with a 2" x
14" air filter. There is no way the hood is going to fit on, no way?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have just found I am to loose my
rented shop (house sold) February 01/01. So I have to at least get the
engine installed. The rest cam be done over the course of the spring.

thanks

Bruce