Re: New Installation

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: New Installation
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:06:01 -0500
Cc: Bruce <brucemills@dccnet.com>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry-

My method of install really does make things easier, & it makes setting up the
electric fan & radiator so much faster. For those who I
have never bored with this trick, I cut away the slam panel- that's the piece
with the hood (bonnet) latch on it- between the radiator
supports. This removes a piece about 20" long & makes an engine install into a
pleasurable activity. For those of you who wish to be
able to latch your hood (bonnet) at some future time, secure an extra complete
slam panel from a salvaged car, trim enough from each end
so that you can overlay the salvaged piece on top of the remains of the
original. The bolts holding the radiator braces & the 4, 1/4" x
28 machine screws in the front lip are more than enough to ensure a firm panel
to support the hood latch. I always eliminate the
vertical support in the center, as well. I did that on my first conversion,
over 15 years ago, and on all successive conversions that I
have been involved  with. In almost 500,000 miles of MGV8 driving, I have never
had a problem with the arrangement, nor has anyone else
who has done it.

As to the Rover/T-5 combination, If it is an early Rover, no problem. If it is
a later model, you will need a 1/4"-3/8" spacer to
prevent the tranny input shaft from putting so much pressure on the crank that
it locks up the engine.

If you use a GM starter on a Rover motor, you will need a spacer. The GM
starter is slightly smaller in diameter than the Rover piece.
It will bolt up, but will not be centered, except by accident, & you will not
have the support the engine block should provide. It only
requires a piece of aluminum tubing of the correct size to be pinned in place.
There was a very complete discussion of this in one of
the back issues of the V8 Newsletters.

Jim Stuart
(very full of it- turkey?)