Re: F-85 jetfire article

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: F-85 jetfire article
From: "Matt Junker" <junkman923@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:33:40 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
> One interesting item was the contention of the author that a
> turbocharger is NOT a supercharger.  Anybody care to get into a discussion
> on that issue?

I've been lurking for a while and saw an opportunity to jump in here.

The turbocharger uses exhaust gas to turn a compressor to fit more air and
fuel into the cylinder, as stated in another reply.

The usual type of supercharger that people are familiar with is in dragsters
-- the big chrome case that looks vaguely like a small beer keg lying on its
side where an intake manifold usually is.

Also, the big belt driving the extension out the front of the "keg" tells
you how it gets its power.

I think some of the advantages and disadvantages of each can be spelled out
like this:

A supercharger I believe is cheaper in terms of installation and purchase,
and "kicks in" earlier in the rpm meter. The downside is is it "costs" more
in terms of energy to drive the belt, even when it's doing little good.

These days you have more choices than the big `ol Roots type on dragsters.
There are superchargers that are installed on Mustangs these days which take
up only a bit more room than all the usual air conditioner junk.

The turbocharger uses the somewhat more "free" energy of exhaust gas to turn
the compressor, but you have to replumb more of the engine to run one. Also,
heat becomes such a problem in the engine bay that some of the benefit of
turbocharging is lost to hot (and therefore less dense) intake air.

The turbocharger also "lags" more in the acceleration department, but comes
on like gangbusters.

An interesting aside about the olds model that's being discussed here is
that they didn't completely have the knock problem at high compression
licked at the time because they were almost 30 years from computerized fuel
injection.

So, to combat the problem of early detonation, I believe they injected a
mixture of water and oil below the carb at some (possibly all) operating
range to keep the knock to a minimum.

Hope this helps answer your questions,
Matt