Re: F-85 jetfire article

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: F-85 jetfire article
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:02:59 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/13/2003 12:31:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
junkman923@earthlink.net writes:

> >One interesting item was the contention of the author that a
> >turbocharger is NOT a supercharger.  Anybody care to get into a discussion
> >on that issue?

By definition, a turbo charger IS a supercharger, but a supercharger is not
necessarily a turbocharger. By definition, supercharging is the act of
forcing air into an engine under pressure, or, to provide the engine with a
super charge; therefore, a turbocharger is indeed a supercharger.

Through the years, however, it has become the custom to refer to a
mechanically driven supercharger as simply a "supercharger," while a
supercharger driven by exhaust gases is commonly referred to as a
"turbocharger." The term "turbocharger" stems from the fact that this
particular type of supercharger is driven by a turbine. In "street talk,"
then, a turbocharger is not a supercharger. Scientifically speaking, it is.

The pros and cons of each type of supercharger is a very complicated subject,
well beyond the scope of an e-mail exchange (and well beyond my capability to
comprehend).

Regards,

Dan