Re: timing

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:34:28 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
IMHO points bounce will cause the misfire and the high tach reading, but
they should go above 6k before bouncing.  Dunno your engine but the Rover V8
is remarkably tolerant to both retarded and advanced ignition, much more so
than the 4-cylinder. But with two different distributors it is difficult to
believe it is points/timing/advance related.  The factory V8 curve should be
26 degrees at 2600 rpm, so your stock dizzie isn't that far out.  Doing some
warm weather tests the other day I recorded 65C/149F near the carbs with
31C/88F ambient.  I increased the ambient coming in at the grill to 41C/106F
and the idle speed did start to drop a little, unfortunately I didn't record
the temp near the carbs under those conditions.  Are you saying you have
180F/82C near the carbs?  That is much hotter than I recorded, and probably
significantly more than it was during the hotter ambient.  Can you run it
with the bonnet off?  Or with the rear jacked up?  I know at speed the air
might be going *in* at the back of the bonnet rather than out but at least
the carbs might be getting more 'fresh' air that way.