RE: was timing, now Engine Compartment Hot Air Exit

To: "'v8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: was timing, now Engine Compartment Hot Air Exit
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:08:13 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
A good chin spoiler, blocking air from getting behind the radiator, will
cause a vacuum behind the radiator, helping to pull the air through.

On the wide mouth TR3 specifically, you have the lower 1/3 of the
radiator not even in the air flow, (the section below the bottom sheet
metal within the grill mouth) so a chin spoiler will be particularly
effective.

Neat racers trick on a TR3 is to leave the hinge pins in the back of the
bonnet loose.  The bonnet will lift at the back, providing some
additional cooling. Unfortunately, you'll need some pretty high speeds
to get that much lift.  So..... Lower pressure pretty close to the
windscreen is right.  The scuttle vent at the base of the windscreen
blows nicely at fairly low (40mph) speeds.

Jack, a TR3, a TR8, a Saab and a Subie