Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 25 Apr 1995 08:49:13 -0500
In <950425022232_95337075@aol.com>, Johnmowog@aol.com wrote:
>just to jump in with my .0199988 (intel change) worth...Castrol GT LMA  is
>indeed compatable with Castrol Girling, "the british equivelent" as it were.
>I strongly recommend AGAINST silicon fluid. As time has progressed it has
>become more and more clear that systems designed for earlier-tech brake
>fluids do not fare well over time with silicon. The biggest problem is that
>the systems in our LBCs are designed to have some amount of seal swelling,
>nicely provided by the interaction of the brake fluid with the rubber parts.
>The silicon fluid provides none of this , so with a little wear on parts,
>systems will start to have pressure leaks.... The other problem is getting
>all of the old fluid out of the system before filling up with silicon, with
>an old system this is very time consuming, requiring large amounts of alcohol
>(and in the brake system too! (g) ) and silicon fluid to be sure of a clean
>flushing.

A strong ditto here, even though I am using silicon in my TD with
great success.  I have just completed a total redo of the brakes on
the '58 MGA, after having installed silicon 2 years ago.  There was
leakage in two of the four wheels (yes, the cylinders were not so hot,
but may have behaved better with LMA).  More disturbing was the black
crud, discoloration and surface goo found in the master cylinder.
Those following this thread may recall this was the one resleeved in
brass by White Post (who recommended against silicon).  Inert though
silicon may be, the m/c bores required some honing to clean up.  With
new wheel cylinders and LMA, the system now seems satisfactory.  This
is not a blanket condemnation of silicon, but it is contraindicated
when cylinders are not shipshape and Bristol fashion or if they
have brass sleeves.
                                A. B. Bonds