Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:00:57 -0400
>  ' Would like to hear some more persuasive arguments
> for/against the above point-of-view before I go to the altar with Dot Five.
>
> What say those of you who've tried it?

I work with a fellow who has silicon in his MGTD Replicar (VW) because
the PO put it in. He says the brakes feel spongier than his VW Bug.
(Yes, the are bled properly.) He uses LMA in his BMW motorcycles. The
reason he does not use silicon is, he read that the silicon fluid does
not absorb water it tends to collect as beads in the lines and wind up
in the lowest spot in the system. If you don't have a bleeder in the
lowest spot it can be tricky to flush out. I don't know what
temperature water boils at under breaking pressure but it is probably
lower than the break fluid. So much for the DOT 5 rating.

He also used DOT 3 fluid in his TR4a and kept ruining the seals till
someone told him to use Castrol LMA.

Comments Welcome!

Mark "I use LMA because if I spill it on the rust it doesn't ruin it." Jurras

= =o&o