Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 02:54:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 MOGRITS@aol.com wrote:

> When I first bought my B no one told me about natural rubber seals, and I put
> standard brake fluid in my clutch cylinder. The first thing I had to do to
> that car was rebuild both cylinders. The second thing I did was buy Castrol
> LMA brake fluid for them.

If your seals died after installing DOT3 brake fluid, then they probably
would have died no matter what kind of fluid you used.  DOT3 fluid does
_not_ eat British hydraulic seals!  That's a legend that goes back to the
days when American brake fluid specs weren't as tightly controlled as they
are now.  It no longer applies (unless your can of brake fluid dates back
to the late 1940s, in which case rotten seals are the least of your
problems).  :-)

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.