Re: Hello, radios for MGBs?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, wilson3@husc.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: Hello, radios for MGBs?
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 09:44:58 PDT
Todd writes:

>   I'm about to try to get my '74 MGB back on the road, and would like to
> replace the non-functioning factory installed radio with something new,
> with at least a cassette player.  But I get the impression from Crutchfield
> (catalog electronics) that few current radios will fit.  Has anyone
> installed something current in their MGB, maybe even with a removable
> face-plate (or am I dreaming)?

My brother, who owns Stereo Video Repair Company in Cucamonga, CA, tells
me that thieves steal the face plates off of the display radios in stereo
stores and then steal the faceless radios out of cars.  But that hasn't
stopped him from putting one in his van.  One Christmas, he gave me a Sony
removable car stereo.  The cage that the radio slips into fit perfectly in
the radio slot in my dash.  Theoretically, I can now buy additional cages
and use the same radio in all my cars.

Before I converted my '67 B to negative ground, I used to have a Radio Shack
AM/FM radio that was either positive or negative ground depending on the
grounding of the car in which it was installed.  It cost $30 and didn't
sound very good.  It had no mounting brackets and was much smaller than
the opening in the dash so I stuck it in a radio blanking shelf out of a
Porsche 944 and stuck the plastic shelf in the radio slot.  The whole
assembly was only held in with friction, so on top of the plastic shelf I
taped a 3X5 card that said, "ATTN: THIEF  This radio is positive ground and
will blow up in your car."  One day, I came out to my car and the radio was
halfway out of the dash with the card showing.

Denise "If I can't fix it, someone in my family can" Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com