Need help in tire selection for 1974 MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help in tire selection for 1974 MGB
From: Slclemo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 23:36:33 -0400
  I'm in dire need of tires for my newly acquired '74 B. I feel like I'm
tempting fate everytime I drive it as it has four very bald tires and no
spare. It presently has 1 Pirelli, 1 Goodyear and 2 from a Holland company on
it.  I stopped at a few tire dealers and most don't carry the specified
165SR14 size.  One place said that they could get the 165SR14 from Michelin
or Dunlop, but they would have to be ordered.  The man suggested that I go
with a much more common size (185-70 14) that was very close to the original
size and he said would give me better performance.
     Since I don't plan to participate in any rallies, original tire size
isn't important to me.  Safety and performance are.  I would appreciate any
recommendations on the optimal tire size and brand.  Thanks for the help!

- Steve Clemons  1974 MGB