Re: MG Logo infringement

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG Logo infringement
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 14:22:17 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> Now here is a hoot....Rover Cars has now decided to use British Motor
> Heritage to inform all the "Carriers of the Flame" that they are "infringing"
> the MG logo.....

I suppose the real question here is what Rover (BMV) intends to do. Are
they looking to "protect" the good name by ensuring that its use is only
for clubs and/or for "proper" use in advertisement of spares and services
related to the marque? Or are they looking to "make a buck" with license
fees for use of the trademarks and logos of the M. G. Car Company?

Ford and GM have been working with hobbyists and suppliers (fairly
amicably, I think) regarding such licensing of their trademarks and
logos. On the other hand, Chrysler recently started going after various
large and small companies who had the audacity to create quality
collectible models of various Chrysler Corp. cars (we're not talking
Vipers, but early post-War Chrysler T&Cs, De Sotos and stuff like that).

I have to hope that Rover's intent is to maintain the integrity of the
M. G. name much as British Motor Heritage "approves" suppliers. But, as
we New York Lotto players say: "Hey, you never know!"

Andy Mace