Re: Spridget Trailer

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Spridget Trailer
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 20:40:28 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:
> trailer hitch was home made.  It consisted of a square tube that went behind
> the bumper and had flanges welded onto either end that bolted to the bumper
> bracket mounts.  The piece that held the trailer hitch ball was welded to
> the center of the tube and stuck out just below the bumper.  It was the only
> part of the hitch that showed.  It seems like there would be more room for
> this setup with a chrome bumpered car.

Denise-
The reason why I think it would be easier on a rubber car is that the
impact-bumpers were mounted to solid frame rails to which a hitch could
also be mounted. The only thing solid on my rear end (you guys have a
dirty mind!) that I can think of is the leaf spring shackle mounts, but
they are to the left and right of the tank. I guess a U-shaped bar could
go under the tank, but it would still have to be triangulated to something...

> An entire MG 1100 used as a trailer would be much classier.  You could tow
> it backwards so that that incredibly elegant grill would be smiling at the
> people behind you.  In fact, I could loan you an MG 1100 with no drivetrain
> if you agreed to tow it from San Diego to Pennsylvania.  I'd settle for
> getting it to the MG meet in Indianapolis.  More on this later.

You would have to supply some very dark shades too, so noone will
recognize me!
Just kidding...
I drove a '69 Impala with a '74 X1/9 chained to the back of it (with an
old tire inbetween) from Tucson, Az to L.A. (to ship it to Germany).
Didn't look that great either. (but we DID have shades...)

Now if you made it into a convertible first.(just erased one line too
much here, sorry!)
> >                       sprite         MG 1100

Ulix
                      sprite            caddy