Re: MGB Ignition help

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Subject: Re: MGB Ignition help
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 19:19:41 -0700

>Don't do this!  The early MGB distributor caps are inherently unsafe
>when pressed into pencil-holder service.  Since the holes are
>perpendicular to the axis of rotation, the gravitational pull is in
>entirely the wrong direction.  In addition to exhibiting poor
>center-of-mass characteristics, any pencils inserted will have a
>very small contact point, actually being cocked in their bores.  This
>will promote rapid, asymmetrical wear, which could eventually lead to
>critical failure.

Don't sweat it Todd.  The only Japanese manufactured item I REALLY like is
their mechanical pencils.  The early MG caps are a perfect fit for the .5 mm
Pentel pencils I'm partial to if the pencil is inserted with the pointy bit
up.  Due to the fine diameter of the lead the asymmetrical wear you mention
is not an issue.  I do, however, caution inexperienced users to head your
warnings.  If you have limited experience with this don't insert anything
you're not sure about!

>Don't mess around with this.  Pencils are cheap, office correspondence
>is not.

You obviously haven't received one of my memos......

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT (running, ready, but not
insured....)