Freeze plug for MG TC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: roland.schabram@sap-ag.de (Roland Schabram)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 18:18:55 +0200
I have to replace the central freeze plug in the engine block just
behind the exhaust manifolds. It was so much corroded that the cooling
water was spilling out through a hole.
Unfortunatelly I cannot get a new plug with the exact size of the
original one which has a diameter of 48 mm. The closest one I managed
to get measures 1 7/8" which is about 47.6 mm.
I am asking you for an advice if this difference is neglectable or if
I am risking that the plug will be pressed out once the cooling water
is starting to warm up. If this is the case maybe someone can provide
me with an address where I can get a correct plug.
In addition I would like to prevent future corrosion. What should be
used as cooling water just purified water or a regular coolant for a
modern car. I do not expect any temperatures below freezing point.

Thank you for your advice

Roland Schabram
Union City, California
MG TC