Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:11:03 +0000
<From: gibbons @ northpole.med.uvm.edu ("W. R. Gibbons") @ USDESMTP
<Date: 09/23/96 10:44:03 AM
<Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC / Antifreeze
<
<Pure water will not contain lubricants and rust inhibitors that are in
<good quality anti freeze.  These would have to be added separately.
<Moreover, I believe that a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water has a
<*higher* boiling point as well as a lower freezing point, compared to pure
<water.  I do agree that the water mixed with the antifreeze should be
<distilled.
<
<   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
<                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
<                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

I heard several people warn against using distilled water at MG Indy 96,
although they could not explain why. That sounds like an old wives tale
to me. What could possibly be bad about using distilled water with
antifreeze? Anybody else ever hear of this?

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 11 months and counting