Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: Bill Harkins <wharkns@inetworld.net>
Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:44:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Bill Harkins wrote:

> At 06:18 PM 9/20/96 +0200, you wrote:
>
>  What should be
> >used as cooling water just purified water or a regular coolant for a
> >modern car. I do not expect any temperatures below freezing point.
>
> For California, use only distilled water without coolant as you have a
> non-sealed system. I recently heard of a source of stainless steel freeze
> plugs, but the address eludes me.
>
> I disagree with the writer that suggests a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. That is
> fine for winter driving, but in 85+F. weather, you may boil over as the
> antifreeze lowers the boiling point as well as lowering the freezing point
> (which is irrelevant here). I'd like to see more discussion on the topic of
> coolants.

Pure water will not contain lubricants and rust inhibitors that are in
good quality anti freeze.  These would have to be added separately.
Moreover, I believe that a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water has a
*higher* boiling point as well as a lower freezing point, compared to pure
water.  I do agree that the water mixed with the antifreeze should be
distilled.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910