Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 20 Sep 1996 13:26:00 -0500
In <199609201618.AA24525@sap-ag.de>, Roland Schabram wrote:
>I have to replace the central freeze plug in the engine block just
>behind the exhaust manifolds. It was so much corroded that the cooling
>water was spilling out through a hole.
>Unfortunatelly I cannot get a new plug with the exact size of the
>original one which has a diameter of 48 mm. The closest one I managed
>to get measures 1 7/8" which is about 47.6 mm.

Are you measuring the actual diameter of the old plug to get 48 mm?
It may well be that a 1 7/8" plug is correct.  When they are
installed, you whack the dome with a hammer, which expands the edge
slightly to seal the plug.  I usually coat the edge with a gasket
sealer (Permatex #2 or similar) before smashing it in.  In any event,
the proper sizes are available from Moss Motors (1-800-MOSSUSA) or
from Abingdon Spares (number is in monster vendor list at the SOL
website).

>In addition I would like to prevent future corrosion. What should be
>used as cooling water just purified water or a regular coolant for a
>modern car. I do not expect any temperatures below freezing point.

It is always best to use a 50-50 mixture of antifreeze and water.  The
antifreeze contains additives that help to lubricate the water pump
and to slow down corrosion.  Most popular modern antifreezes are fine
(e.g., Prestone, among others).  There are no serious problems with
compatibility since the T series engines are all cast iron.

                        A. B. Bonds