Re: MG life in Alaska

To: TATERRY@aol.com, DamitDick@gnn.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG life in Alaska
From: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:14:55 -0500 (EST)
300 miles a day is ambitious on parts of the route. If this gets serious,
someone should be elected chairperson and speak to the organizer of the NEMGTR
trip in 1988. They really examined the route, planned well, knew what support
they needed and the availability of accommodations. I understand the last
hundred or two miles to the artic circle was dirt roads!

A word of caution. Before it does get serious, take it from someone who did
organize a large scale MG trip. You need one person to sacrifice lots of time
and be in complete control. You need a fund up front to weed out the men from
the boys. When people begin to get dates and sit down with their boss, their
spouse or what have you, suddenly reality sets in, very few of us are free as
birds as we might like to think.

In 1987 when we announced the Circuit of Britain ( a three week affair)
hundreds
signed up. When it came time a year later to put money up front, the number was
reduced to half. In the last year before the trip we had limited the number to
hundred cars with a waiting list of fifteen. In 1990 we actually left with 89
cars.

I still hope this gets organized, as their is nothing better and more fun then
20, 50 or 89 MGs going somewhere for weeks at a time, travelling, dinning and
fixing the damm cars along the way.

Mike Leckstein