Re: door locks

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: door locks
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:59:20 -0600 (CST)
Larryhoy@aol.com writes:

> Here's how you remove the door locks on a 1969 MGB.  On the inside of the
> door, wrapped around the lock is a spring steel "band".  It has two arms that
> spread out after the lock is inserted through the door.  In order to remove
> the lock you have to squeeze the spring steel arms together and push, or pull
> the lock out toward the outside of the car.  (To replace the cylinder you
> have to drive a small pin out of the barrel.)  After you have installed the
> new cylinder you can just push the lock back through the door.

Note that Moss sells re-engineered replacements for these spring steel
bands.  I haven't yet purchased a set, but they claim in their catalog
that the replacements are much easier to install/remove.  You might ring
them and ask.

I actually gave some thought to removing the locks and filling the hole
before painting...

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer in pieces, awaiting paint

"I could go at any time..."