Re: MGB brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB brakes
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:05:15 +1100

>I have no idea what you are talking about, Graham. Every racing car I have
>ever seen in this country or any other has braided steel brake lines, and I
>have never heard of or experienced the problem of which you are speaking.
>
>Sheree Wegeng
>Champaign, IL,USA

Sheree,

Yes and braided hoses are OK for a Boeing 747 - because they do not flex all
the time as does a car brake hose, especially on the front (also they are
inspected very regularly - indeed before each flight as part of a pre flight
inspection).  I would suggest that a racing car would similarly travel quite
low mileage (and so get less flexing) also the race tracks they travel on
are essentially fairly smooth (look at an on board camera view of the small
amount on movement in a front suspension.  Finally, race cars tend to have
their brakes inspected after every use and are rebuilt regularly.

It is not my judgement that braided hoses represent a possible danger on
cars but that of the Commonwealth Department of Transport and
Communications, whose laboratories did the flex tests.  It is a matter of
minute inspection to detect the braiding beginning to break away and it is,
in my view, a realistic expcetation that the average car owner will not do
this.  If you think you know better from your lofty and informed position
then so be it!!

Food for thought I hope, and please let's not have a three week blockage of
the list over this.

regards,

Graham
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia