Re: MGB brakes

To: Richard Lancaster <RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov>
Subject: Re: MGB brakes
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:02:31 -0600
One more time...

Just to make sure all angles of this thread are beaten to death,
when I first replaced the flexible brake lines I did some
research and the conclusions I came up with were:

1) "Standard Rubber" brake lines are good to about a kijillion
pounds of pressure. Steel braided lines are good for about 2
kijillion pounds. The maximum pressure out of an LBC master
cylinder is about kijillion divided by 2.

2) There are federal standards for brake lines. Any "approved"
brake line is about as good as any other.

3) Racing applications are irrelevant. A daily driver puts many
thousand times more wear on the brake line. On the street you
stop a lot, when racing you try to avoid it. You race three or
four times a month, six or seven months out of the year. Daily
driver driven daily.

4) Rubber brake lines aren't near as cool looking (sigh).

5) [Clincher] With rubber brake lines, you can visually see
when the lines are getting old and cracked and then replace
them. You can't inspect braided lines. They're pretty right up
until they fail.

Every since I've always bought rubber lines.

ERRATA: (Comment on human nature)
Step One: Replace old with new 'spiffy' brake lines.
Step Two: Flush brake system.
Step Three: Carefully bleed brake system with new fluid.

Conclusion: Brakes much firmer because of 'spiffy' brake lines!
Okay, but how about steps 2 and 3?

I have teenage step-daughters so I am fully aware of the value
of my opinion.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT