RE: MGA Chassis Number

To: "Peter G. Gilvarry" <petergg@ibm.net>
Subject: RE: MGA Chassis Number
From: Ernest <lawref@lawref.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 97 12:23:07 -0800
I think a minor correction would be in order. The 16 on the head probably
indicates a 1622 head. The 1500 and 1600 both had 15 on the head (in most cases
per moss).

Also, the chassis number can usually be found stamped on the frame cross member
under the passenger's knees. It will be the number only without the GHN...
letter prefix part. But the letter prefix can be reconstructed and a new VIN
plate obtained from moss. For all US 1600's there were only 2 differend letter
prefix combinations, one for coupe and one for roadster. Not so for 1500's
where the original color was coded in it.

In every case I have looked for that stamped number on the frame I could not
find it until I hit it with a sandblaster. Then it pops out.

The body number near the hinge is useless for identification purposes.

Ernest