Re: Names and all that sort of thing

To: engconn@infi.net, homestay@infolearn.com.au
Subject: Re: Names and all that sort of thing
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 06:09:24 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-13 10:43:31 EST, engconn@infi.net (Geoff Love)
writes:

<< As R.Johnson has a picture of a Spitfire hanging on his wall >>

Geoff,

The color print is breathtaking (if your into that sort of thing and we are).
It is approximately 24" X 48", framed and matted. It was painted from a black
and white air to air photo of a Mk Vb, EN821/SN-M, from Sqdn. No. 243
reformed in the UK in 1942. The aircraft was then sent to Algeria in December
of 1942. The sqdn. was later disbanded in Italy in late 1944.

The artist kept the perspective and markings from the photo but, took liberty
with the clouds (what a nice touch, too). The painting shows the aircraft in
a front, right view breaking through a hole in the clouds. I saw it in a
store here in Texas in 1980 and had to have it. It has hung on my offce wall
ever since and always gets a lot of comments from visitors. It took me about
four years to identify it as a Mk Vb, I had thought it to be a Mk7 until I
happened to find the very photo it was made from, including the S/N and other
history (unusual luck, don't you think).

Perhaps I was a Spitfire pilot in another life. In any case I seem to have a
lot of fondness for British cars, aircraft, TV comedy... the street I live on
is even named after the queen. Scarey, Huh?!

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget