Brake bias/proportion?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake bias/proportion?
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:37:03 -0500 (EST)
  Ok, I have a braking problem that I havent been able to sort out.
  I have an idea of what *might* be wrong, but I wanted to bounce the
  problem past the list before I run off any buy new parts.

  Here are the facts:

   73 MGB, dual circuit brake system, rebuilt calipers, rebuilt master
   cylinder (both rebuilt by me), new wheel cylinders, new brake lines,
   hoses, pads and shoes.  All components were replaced or rebuilt.
   I am using DOT5 brake fluid (silicone).

  Here are the symptoms:

   After driving for about 10 mins, both calipers begin to drag, the
   pressure differential warning light turns on (and remains on) and
   eventually the front brakes grab- you can smell the pads heating up.

   If I let the car sit for about 15 mins, the P-D-W goes out and the
   process repeats again.  The pedal is always firm; and there are no
   obvious leaks, although I have noticed a tiny spot of fluid on the
   drivers floor mat, (about the size of a quarter).  I attributed
   this to a loose fitting (or a drip from the pedal box due to a sloppy
   filler :-)

   I know what you are thinking-  no, I am not driving the car on
   public streets like this; these are just test runs on private
   property.  Also, the rubber brake hoses are *not* collapsed,
   I could gravity feed new fluid through them when I installed
   them a few months ago.

   I suspect that the master cylinder is not distributing fluid to
   the rear circuit; but I am not sure how this could cause the
   front brakes to bind- I would have expected the front to work
   fine, but the rear to not work at all.  Any ideas??

   --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA