Re: taut tonneaus

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: taut tonneaus
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:32:17 -0500
>Is there a way to stretch a tonneau that's shrunk over time?  I can get it to
>fit left to right, I can't seem to make it all the way to the snaps on the
>dash.
>(I know, a DPO installed snaps instead of studs/lift the dots.)  Even after
>setting it out in the sun to heat up, it's still at least an inch shy.  Thanks
>in advance.
>
>Joseph
>67 roadster

Hi Joseph:

I had (still have) this problem.  I solved it by making short extender tabs
from pieces of very high grade synthetic rubber gasket material.  I cut the
tabs about 3 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide.  I bought new male and
female snap fittings and affixed them to the ends of the tabs.  Presto, the
tonneau cover fits quite nicely although it doesn't quite reach the base of
the windshield.  Who cares?

John McEwen

PS:  The gasket material came from a friend whose company rebuilds natural
gas meters.  The stuff is about 3/32 inch thick and is a semi-gloss black.
It is incredibly tough and durable.  The snaps do not pull out but it can
be cut with good scissors.

JMM