Re: taut tonneaus

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: taut tonneaus
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:53:07 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Nolan Penney wrote:
> vinyl shrinks without tension.  You see this on ripped seats.  The material
>pulls
> away gradually from the tear.  The fix is pretty simple, warm tension.  Come
> summer, use some heavy twine or some rope, and pull it tight and let it set
>for a
> while, prefereably with some sort of softening agent on it.  In a matter of
>hours
> you can have it stretched back out again to its original size.

That didn't work for me.  I lived in Tucson, AZ at the time and several
times tried to stretch my tonneau by letting it get hot in the desert sun
and then stretching it to some of the studs that it wouldn't reach
otherwise.  Even after leaving it on for several days including cold
nights (that should stretch the material even more since it is trying to
contract in the cold), the stretch was not permanent.  As soon as it
cooled off a little, it was back to its old size.

In a previous discussion on this list, someone reported hanging the
tonneau over his hot furnace in the basement, with weights (so heavy that
they almost tore the material) attached for months.  He saw only very
limited success.  The resulting stretch was only a fraction of what was
needed.

I think I am still waiting for the growth hormone.

                                                           '67 Sprite