Re: taut tonneaus

To: John McEwen <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: taut tonneaus
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:19:52 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, John McEwen wrote:

> >> I had (still have) this problem.  I solved it by making short extender tabs
> >> from pieces of very high grade synthetic rubber gasket material.  I cut the

> >  Great idea!!  How can one obtain a chunk of this material???
> >  (other than poaching one from my gas meter )

> I don't know what it's called but I'll find out.  Incidentally it makes
> great engine gaskests as it is temperature and solvent proof.  I used it to

Funny this should come up.  I have been annoyed by the quality of some of
the rubber gaskets that come with things like reproduction rear view
mirrors.  The rubber turns soft and deteriorates quickly.  I've been
looking for a good quality replacement material.

I was at Home Depot Sunday, and bought a package of two sheets of black
3/32 inch rubber-like gasket material in the plumbing department.  I think
this may be the stuff you had in mind.  Two pieces about 6 inches square
was under $2.  It was with the stoppers and other misc plumbing stuff.
Looks like it should be great for gaskets under body parts, bumper
brackets, etc.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910