Re: Engagement of O/D

To: drded@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Engagement of O/D
From: ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:14:52 -0400
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:44:13 -0500 (CDT)
> From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
> Subject: Engagement of O/D

> I Know, I Know, are you guys ever going to hear the end of my having
> O/D? Probably not. I remember sometime ago overhearing a disagreement
> on the proper way of engaging overdrive. Since I didn't have one in a
> car at the time I didn't listen long enough to hear the resolve.

> I noticed that when I switch on the O/D there is a surge caused by the
> sudden change in ratio. I have tried disengaging the clutch then
> engaging the the O/D and re-engaging clutch and this seems to make to
> transition smoother or almost the same as shifting into a 5th gear. I'm
> interested in how others operate their O/D equipped Bs. I'm also
> wondering if there is better way in terms of wear on parts.

> Safety Fast, David Deutsch

David,

On my Healey, which should be about the same setup as the MG,
I shift in and out of overdrive without the clutch.  I try to avoid
shifting into overdrive under heavy acceleration.  The Healey has a
combination of a relay and a throttle switch which keeps the
overdrive unit on if you shift out at less than 20% throttle.

Have fun with your new toy.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net