Paint scheme advice?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Paint scheme advice?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 00:39:34 +0000
Since we're talking about painting cars with union jacks and the
like, I though I'd ask for opinions on my plans for my 'B'.
I have a '72 B tourer, with the chrome grille from the 63-69 models
installed.  It's a dark green right now, kind of between BRG and
forest green.  I'd like to have it painted a pearlescent dark green,
a little darker than BRG.  So far, so good.  Here's where I'll
probably ruffle a few purist feathers.  I'd like to have flames
painted on the bonnet and fenders, going back about 3/4 of the
bonnet, and a corresponding distance on the front wings.  They would
start coming out of the grille and headlight rings, and be chrome
colored, cooling off to a pearlescent blue and then to a pearlescent
green a little lighter than the rest of the car.  The flames would
be very ephemeral, thin,  and delicate, not agressive at all.  I
figure this is my daily driver, and it already has enough parts on it
from various donor 65-69 'B's that it's not really a good candidate
for an "as-new" restoration, and I'd like to have some fun with it.
Also, it would have 14" or 15" Minilites on it.
     Has anyone seen any similar paint schemes on small cars before?
How did it look?  I saw a very nice graphics job on a Miata back in
Texas last year.  It was a light pearl blue, and the front end had
water splashing up over it like the car had just crashed through a
wave.  Very nice effect, but I know I could never describe it well
enough for a painter to duplicate it.
Thanks bunches,

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com