Re: Mods to exist Intake/Exhaust=Need Advise

To: MG NEWSGROUP <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mods to exist Intake/Exhaust=Need Advise
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:00:45 -0800
At 01:14 PM 6/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Jay!!
>
>On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Michael Hartwig wrote:
>
>> How about a book for the B engine or are they one in the same?  Sorry for
>> the ineptness for A engines.
>
>I'm told that a lot of what Vizard covers about the "A" series engine is
>applicable to the "B" series engine.
>
>If you think of the "A" series as a small block chev 350, and the "B"
>series as a big block chev 454, you can make the modification
>adjustments.  In other words, the reccommended sizes for the port
>passages, and header sizes WON'T be correct because of the engine size
>increase, BUT his port shapes, cam reccommends, and carb/ign mods are
>directly applicable.
>
>The same goes for the stock dual carb intake modifications.  The "B"'s
>is bigger, but suffers from exactly the same problems as the "A"
>manifold.
>
>TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen

Kirk,
  What about chamber shaping?  I didn't see anything in his head modification
book on combustion chamber reshaping for the B while he has lots of diagrams
for mini's, fords and triumph engines.  The formulas on port, valve and general
preparation are, as you say, directly applicable.
   While I'm here....someone explain what "shrouding" is.  I think it's inherent
in the head design and "bad" but I really couldn't get a good feel for what
it is.
   I'm suprised there aren't any books on the B series.  It seems that the
factory
would have written some tuning info that would be appropriate.
   Thanks for any response.
Gregg Baker
biff  anc19672@anc.ak.net
"If you take it serious.....You'll go crazy"