Re: MG gas mileage

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>,
Subject: Re: MG gas mileage
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:38:47 -0400
EMILY COWEN wrote:
> According to David Vizard's engine dyno tests, the "A" series engine
> develops LESS horsepower with fuel injection, than with SU's.

  I think he must have been testing a specific fuel injection
system and getting those results. It's very possible that
some carburetor combination will be better than some fuel
injection combination, but it's highly unlikely that ANY
carb setting is better than ALL fuel injection possibilities.

  Ironically, if you wanted to, you could program your fuel
injection to duplicate SUs and get at least the same performance
as SUs, faults and all.

  I don't want to open the whole argument again, but essentially
fuel injection is as varied as carburation. Many setups are
possible, many configurations are possible, and many programs
are possible.

  Fuel injection generally gives more performance because it's
adjustments and tunings can be done without compromise, generally
unlike carburetors where most design traits are tradeoffs between
performance and mileage, performance and emissions, or performance
and driveability.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada