Re: MG gas mileage

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG gas mileage
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:46:00 -0500
Bob wrote:

RJD>mph.cs.utah.edu>

RJD>>EMILY COWEN wrote:
RJD>>> The again, why not get into direct injection??  Cutting edge
RJD>>> technology with REAL performance/efficiency gains, with the same amount
RJD>>> of grunt work on your part.
RJD>>
RJD>>  Agreed that direct injection is better in about every way,
RJD>>but the grunt work is a bit more.
RJD>>

RJD>Yeah, but SU's are way cooler looking and original!

RJD>Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s

 Yes, SU's are cooler than you think too.. I think someone pointed out
 it's variable venturi,  constant velocity characteristics a while back.
 That little "slide" is the SU's cpu,and sensor. It measure's the
 engines overall "air pumping/sucking" ability, and offers the
 appropriate amount of fuel/air for any given RPM, via vacum slide.
  What I've wondered is if.. you remove the fuel bowl, attach the fuel
 lines to the jets, then fabricate a needle that would go from, full
 shutoff to the appropriate "wide open" amount of fuel for the maximum
 air. Would you not have a throttle body fuel injector, with its own
 engine sensor ( slide/ vacum ) compensator ?  Anyone game ?
  I thought about this as I learned to understand how these things
 worked. Anyone want to try to make needles? I'll test 'em out !
 My guess is that this set up would ( properly setup and adjusted )
 would out perform any standard throttle body injector available.
 Any thoughts?

 Oh yeah, my hats off to the engineers of the SU !

John Kahoon
71 Midget
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ                         john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 _ _
|_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.net
|_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pcohio.com