RE: MG gas mileage

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: MG gas mileage
From: Jay Johannes <jayj@hplvlnt3.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:05:25 -0600
>Has anyone marketed a kit or good instructions on how to convert a MGB
>to FI

A fellow I work with, Werner Hausmann, converted a B to FI and wrote an
article about it for British Cars magazine.

>If you're speaking to throttle body injection, you'd have to be
>desperate to get rid of your SU's to try this typical knee jerk
reaction
>of the NA auto manufacturers to proper (multi port) fuel injection
>design.  The again, why not get into direct injection??  Cutting edge
>technology with REAL performance/efficiency gains, with the same amount
>of grunt work on your part.

(lots of other speculative comments in the digest)

Werner held a tech session last fall and invited us all over to see what
he had done.  First, after talking for an hour about the advantages of
direct port injection and L-Jetronic systems, Werner admitted that his B
was fitted with throttle body injection off an Escort.  Why?  Because
the siamesed intake port scheme on the B series engine precludes having
the long runner necessary for isolating the fuel charge for each
cylinder.  The air mass sensor and TPS are a piece of cake.  Just go to
your local junkyard and find parts for some other 1.8 litre engine.
Werner showed parts from Renaults, Fords, BMWs, etc which were identical
except for the p/n and emblem engraved on the cover.  This stuff is all
made by Bosch and OEMed by the manufacturers.

The biggest problem with throttle body injection is that the fuel path
is too long and not idealized for each cylinder.  Thus, it is necessary
to run a little rich for ideal conditions.  The end result was something
which had about the same power and fuel economy as the Sus it replaced.
It did have better part throttle response and better cold starting
characteristics.  My conclusion was not to pursue it unless I could find
a different head which would allow direct port injection.

     Jay Nemeth-Johannes