Re: GOD BLESS AMERICA- Danger NO LBC content

To: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GOD BLESS AMERICA- Danger NO LBC content
From: hstaton@ilnk.com (Sam Staton)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 17:43:30 -0400
At 01:57 PM 7/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I would have to remind you all, that Vietnam was not "my" war nor
>"Clintons" war. We still don't know the reasons we were fighting there! As
>for me, I would have served had I not failed my draft physical,
>but it was not because I was "brave" and I don't criticize those who
>avoided service in that cluster-f*ck of a military engagement whatever
>their reasons. I wonder how many of you out there who criticize the
>so-called draft dodgers remember what it was like for young men then and
>how many of you ever gave a helping hand to to my buds who were  vets from
>that war. We didn't exactly welcome them back home then did we?
>
>=%OBobby   (missed the draft on both ends)
>
>Then you talk pretty big for someone who never had his chips on the table.
>
>And I have probably said too much too, I fear my polemics will come back
>to bite me  :(
>
>.
>=%O77 MGB Roadster
>=%O--
>=%O                                       Bob De Weese
>=%O                             Certified Professional Locksmith
>=%O                                   bearlock@bigfoot.com
>=%O
>=%O
>=%O*******************************************************************
>=%O*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
>=%O*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *
>=%O*******************************************************************
>=%O
>
>"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"
>
>John J. Peloquin
>1970 MGB-GT

Speaking as one who was in the military during that time (USN ETC(SS)
retired), I will never forgive our vain-glorious 'leader' for running away.
He now does not have any qualms about sending his betters out to do the job
he shirked. Vietnam (for whatever reason we were there - I always thought
it was to preserve the freedom of a sovereign country after being asked to
by the legitimate government of that country - but I could be mistaken) was
such a cluster-****, as another poster described it, because the civilian
politicians tried to run it, instead of leaving the fighting to the
professionals. Any time a war is directed by politicians for political
gain, good men are going to die for no reason. The Gulf War was the success
it was because the leaders who ran it learned the lessons of Vietnam and
did not allow the same thing to happen again. As a much more intelligent
man than myself once said, 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed
to repeat it.'

Sam Staton
'73 B Rdstr 'Maggie'