Re: Brake bias

To: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Subject: Re: Brake bias
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:58:19 -0400
Hmm, book says that the shoe pads cannot be cleaned once they get oil on
them. I guess that this is because the pads are of porous material. You'd
never be able to get all of the oil out.

The oil is not causing the brakes to lock. The problem is that one brake
set is grabbing as it should, while the oiled set is just slipping. This
causes the swerving. Just a guess.

>On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 dmeadow@juno.com wrote:
>
>> I had some trouble with my back brakes locking up on my MGA.  Came to
>> find out that the differential oil was leaking into the brake drums via a
>> bad seal, which is a fairly common problem on A's.  Check inside your
>> brake drums for oil.
>
>Yeah I need to go buy a can of brake cleaner to get all of that oil off
>the shoes and drum.  How does oil make the brakes lock up?  It seems that
>they would just not brake.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis