Re: Brake bias

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake bias
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 16 Jul 1997 16:59:09 -0500
In <19970716.140543.3558.0.dmeadow@juno.com>, dmeadow@juno.com wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:17:35 -0600 (MDT) Kevin Sullivan
><kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu> writes:
>>
>>Yeah I need to go buy a can of brake cleaner to get all of that oil
>>off
>>the shoes and drum.  How does oil make the brakes lock up?  It seems
>>that
>>they would just not brake.
>>
>>Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
>>Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
>>Albuquerque NM USA
>>

>I don't think brake cleaner will work on those shoes, once they get oil
>soaked they are ruined.  I'm not an expert, but as I recall, the oil
>loosens up the shoe lining and makes it soft, kinda like water and
>cardboard.   I believe that's also the reason why they tend to grab and
>lock up, versus a dry, hard, relatively smooth surface a lining in good
>condition has.

I have had reasonable success removing moderate amounts of oil from
seal leakage from rear brake shoes with CRC Brakleen.  The surface
needs to be saturated several times and then wiped off very quickly
until no material is evident on the wiping surface.  It may take ten
or more applications and a roll of paper towels, but when done I saw
no noticeable deterioration of the liner surface.  This may not be
true of all liner material and I wouldn't try it if the surfaces are
really soaked with oil.  Do this outside, the fumes are ghastly.

                A. B. Bonds