automated gas pump (no LBC )

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: automated gas pump (no LBC )
From: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 08:35:11 -0700
I just saw a blurb on Abc news about this new hi tech gas pump Shell is
testing ,you have to get a special cap from them, then when you drive,
in this big robot arm scans your car and opens the door and puts gas in
your car automatically so you don't have to get out of your car and get
your hands dirty!They are spending millions on this system in hopes it
will catch on with millions of happy motorists driving to their
pumps.Somewhere in the deep recesses of my feeble memory I remember
going to the local SERVICE station and getting the gas put in
automatically without getting my hands dirty.Also this amazing machine
would wash your windshield,check your oil,check your tires and even
smile at you when you were done!What was this amazing machine,that did
all this in the 50s?He was known as the gas station attendent....yup a
human being that did all this amazing hi-tech stuff!
Why doesn't Shell just hire a bunch of teenagers,stick them out there
with nice clean uniforms and forget the automated stuff and accomplish
the same PR where you can stay in your car? The last time I remember
having a gas station attendant was in '69
in Chehalis Wash and the guy said"you're low on oil"So I told him never
mind I use my own oil"GTX and he said "no problem "and put my own oil in
for me!Oh he smiled when I left! I don't understand this push to
robotize everything.Why not put millions of teenagers to work, let them
get some experience and rekindle a love of cars?
Pat ( getting more stuck in the 50s every day)