Re: automated gas pump (no LBC )

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: automated gas pump (no LBC )
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 15:56:26 -0700
Steve Byers wrote:

> I think NJ and maybe Oregon are the only two states that won't allow
> self-serve.  I have to think that the gas station lobby (or some other
>
> lobby) was behind this.  IMHO, it's an example of passing another law
> where
> none is needed.  Has anybody ever heard of anyone blowing himself up
> while
> "self-serving"?

I'm temporarily living in Oregon, and I have yet to figure out why we
can't have selve serve? The only think I've been able to figure out is
that the folks in Oregon are afraid that their quality of life will
suffer if they have to pump their own gas (that's the only thing I've
been able to determine from the "letters to the editor" in the paper.
It's kind of a pain, they get ticked off because the pump won't stay in
the B, they spill gas on the bumper (rubber). I'd prefer to just pump it
myself.

It's really a hassle at places that don't have "pay at the pump",
because you have to get out of the car anyway to go in and pay.

--
John Steczkowski
PSW Technologies, Inc.