Re: Modulation Gone! Now what?

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: Modulation Gone! Now what?
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:49:17 -0500 (CDT)
Lawrence J Alexander writes:

> [ I wrote: ]
>
> >Having reviewed the procedure in detail once again, I present my
> >original question, which hasn't yet been answered to my satisfaction:
> >Why, exactly and technically, is this necessary?
>
> Todd...I don't know why my original answer to your question didn't reach
> you, but here follows a re-post of what I wrote........

Actually, it did reach me, and you raise an interesting point, but I'm
still not quite satisfied.

> [ ... ] but there is a reason for leaving the spacer in place and
> using shims to set the bearing pre-load......When the castellated nut is
> tightened against, in order, the outer bearing's inner race, the shims,
> the spacer, the inner bearing's inner race and, finally, the seal
> support, you effectively secure the outer end of the stub axle back
> against the inner end and provide a much larger diameter axle for the hub
> to rotate on. This added strength can be very important if you drive the
> car hard!

This is an interesting and unique observation.  It makes a lot of sense
and tickles all the right fuzzy areas of my addled brain.  However, I'm
still bugged by the fact that the spacers seem to be made of an
incredibly soft, almost crumbly, metal that doesn't seem very strong.  I
can say this because I picked lots of little pieces of it out of my hub
after the bearing welded; no telling how many Interstate miles I dragged
the poor 'B, backwards on the tow dolly, with the bearing shattered in
little pieces.

Also, I must ask:  If this is a technically superior system, why didn't
all car manufacturers use it?

> Also, what's the objection to setting it up the way the factory
> intended? Sure, it take a bit longer but - when you are finished - you
> know the castellated nut is tight enough not to come off without putting
> too much load on the bearings themselves. LawrieBritish Sportscar Center

The castellated nut doesn't have to hold itself on.  That's what the
split pin is for.  (Right?)

I object, slightly, to the tedious procedure.  But I'd also really like
to know exactly why this system was used in the first place.  I know
some of you are sick of talking about this, and others of you may
actually think that I'm some sort of mutant militant, but know that I'm
simply genuinely and insatiably curious.  No malice, just intense
curiosity.

(How come "curiosity" isn't spelled "curiousity"?)

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer saw the continent in reverse