Re: Modulation Gone! Now what?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Modulation Gone! Now what?
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:48:12 +0000
My manuals state that wheel-bearing end-float should be .002 to .004 in.
To my mind this means that to add shims till you get wobble then remove
one shim, as recently advised is incorrect.  Surely it should be the
other way round?

And to earlier suggestions that shims are not required anyway - the
outer races are a press-fit into the hub, but the inner races are a
loose fit on the shaft, so unless shims are used and torqued down, there
is nothing to stop the inner races rotating on the shaft, is there?

PaulH.