Re: Modulation Gone! Now what?

To: a-rrees@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: Modulation Gone! Now what?
From: britcars@juno.com (Lawrence J Alexander)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:35:59 EDT
Randy.....

I suggest you plan to replace the left-side bearings again! 70 ft.lbs is
the correct torque once you have set the end float; 70 ft.lbs if you
haven't done that is enough to damage the bearings, evidence of which is
the hub becoming hot enough to boil out the grease......

Buy some shims before you tackle this job again! install the bearings
without grease but with just a light coat of oil. Selectively use the
shims between the outer bearing's inner race and the spacer, then do the
nut up tight. An educated guess at the correct end float is when the
wheel spins freely but you cannot wobble it. Keep trying different
combinations of shims until you reach the correct fit.

Once you have reached that happy medium, disassemble the hub again,
replace the oil on the bearings with grease, then reassemble and torque
to the 40 to 70 ft. lbs figure given in the manual ( the range is to
allow you to find a position where the split pin hole lines up with a
castellation in the nut.)

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
www.britcars.com