Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:57:01 EDT
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:56:55 -0400 Adrian Jones
<AdrianJones@compuserve.com> writes:
>Hi folks,
>        Could I have your advice on a problem I'm having with my
>"little
>gem" as someone once called it.
>        Coming home one day it suddenly wouldn't  rev over 3500rpm -
>and
>even started back-firing in the exhaust (under the drivers seat) if I
>tri=
>ed
>to give it more gas.  It seems just fine under 3500rpm.
>        I've been working on it for the past week and I'm running out
>of
>things to try next.
>        I've put in new points, condenser, rotor, plugs, electronic
>fuel
>pump.  I've tried swapping the dist cap and plug wires with old but
>good
>ones (I think).  I took the SU carbs apart and cleaned the insides,
>check=
>ed
>the float height and messed about with the mixture.  The "pistons"
>seem t=
>go up and down smoothly.  Removing the air filters didn't help. =
>
>         The compression is 140 +/- 5 on all cylinders. The timing is
>spo=
>on (12BTDC) and so is the dwell (60 degrees).  I suppose I should
>re-chec=
>the valve clearances but somehow I don't think that is the problem. =
>
>        I'll be ordering a new distributor cap and plugs wires from
>Moss
>(unless someone knows of a local source- this is a 1275 Midget) - is
>ther=
>anything else I should add to the list.  Should I go ahead and get new
>needles and jets?
>        Anything else I could check on?  Many thanks for any replies.
>
>Regards,     Adrian   =

Adrian,
  Re-check the point gap. It sounds like the points closed up on you,
which sometimes happens with new sets.  Seems the rubbing block (the
little plastic do-hickey which rubs the dist. cam) wear quickly at first,
then much more slowly after a re-set or two.

Been there, done that
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget