Re: Kingpin Bushings

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu, Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Kingpin Bushings
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:02:59 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-27 10:40:29 EDT, CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
writes:

<< You can buy a
 kingpin set and send the new set with your swivel arms to apple hydrolic, a
 local mg guy with a reamer, or soemone on the list with a reamer and they
 can set them up for your. They will also put the proper number of shimms in.

 Similar to the bearing deal but let's not go there.... Or you could buy a
 rebuilt kingpin swivel arm set. Of course you could buy the $200 reamer from

 moss or you could possibly borrow it from your local  MG club and do it
 yourself.

 Chris >>

Chris, Rich,

I just went the swivel axle route over the July 4th weekend. VB was out of
stock and I inquired on this net where I might get a set of rebuilt swivel
axles reasonably priced and in time for the Holiday weekend.

TS Import's in Pandora, Ohio e-mailed me with a good price. They delivered on
time, as promised. I did have to return the old set (cores), but that was OK.
I am planning to install some rebuilt front dampeners this coming weekend. TS
uses the same rebuilder that did my first set of rebuilts about eight years
and 100,000 miles ago.

I really liked a rebuilt set as opposed to spending the nearly $200 for the
reamer or waiting a week for a machine shop to do the job. We did the latter
on my son's '76 Midget a couple of years ago. A local shop here in Dallas did
a good job, but charged $65 and the car was laid up for a few days waiting
for the shop to get the job done. Yep, I really like the rebuilt solution
much better.

P. S. Don't forget to take off your old spacers on the axles. I did not
realize this was a separate part until I reassembled one side and things
weren't fitting up quite right. I had to get the old set out of the box that
I had taped up, ready to ship back to Ohio. This spacer is a chamfered ring
that fits onto the axle before anything else goes on.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget
'73 MGB

Ted... are you listening? Help this gentleman out.