Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 23:54:21 EDT
On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:06:34 -0400 Adrian Jones
<AdrianJones@compuserve.com> writes:

>..... I believe it was due to my running the carbs too lean. ..... It
now runs over 4000 rpm in the garage and the advance can be seen with the
strobe.  Unfortunately, it still won't go over 3000 on the road.  If I
try to enrichen the carbs more, then I get wads of black smoke out the
tail pipe  I now think the carb needles are worn .....

Hmmmm.  You might want to pull the needles out of the carbs and check the
numbers on them.  Could be the wrong needles making tha mixture rich at
idle and lean at speed.

I had a mild case of that in My MGA for a while.  I had to richen the
mixture two turns to go racing at high speeds and full throttle without
it breaking up.  Then I had to lean out the mixture for road use.  Turned
out to be extra lean needles.  When I installed the correct needles it
ran like a champ under all conditions without tinkering.

Worth a look?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude.