Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:21:13 EDT
On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 13:14:38 -0400 Adrian Jones
<AdrianJones@compuserve.com> writes:
>>Both the crankshaft & cam sprokets are held in place by (quesstment)
>a o=
>ne
>ounce KEY.  If it becomes dislodged, dented, fractured, etc. the
>timing
>will
>be affected BUT at idle you may not see it with a timing light.<
>
>Ed,
>
>Well, I've just made some paint marks on the pulley and the upper side
>of=
>
>the block corresponding to 10 BTDC.  (The factory marks are on the
>underside of the engine)  Anyway, now I can rev the engine and look at
>th=
>timing marks with the strobe.
>At idle,  the marks line up nicely.  Giving it some gas, the pulley
>mark
>looks like it wants to move but can't.  The engine won't rev and it
>backfires badly out of the carbs.
>Do you think this a carb problem or timing problem?
>Anything else I could try to narrow it down?
>
>Regards,   Adrian

Adrian,
 you just described the classic, text book symptoms of a stuck or frozen
mechanical advance in the dizzy.
  Remove the dizzy, and dis assemble the point plate (following the
manual directions) to gain access to the mech. advance mechanism. Check
for any broken springs, loose pins or weights.

  Hold the drive dog in on hand and attempt to twist the dizzy cam. That
should cause the advance to move.  If not, soak all the bits in
penetrating oil (not WD-40) and continue to work with it until it loosens
up and turns freely. Re attach the point plate and reinstall the dizzy.
  go for a drive.

 Hope this helps
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT