Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:22:40 -0400
Message text written by glen christian
>sounds to me like the advance unit in your distributor aint working quit=
right. as you rev the engine the timing mark should move indicating your
spark is being advanced. =

Glen Christian<

Glen,
        Yeah, that dawned on me.  I went ahead and put back in the origin=
al
distributor (same points, but they are new).  No change in engine
performance.  Thinking about the back-fire through the carbs, I then
enrichened the mixture by moving the jets down 6 flats.  Now I can rev th=
engine to 3500rpm no problem.  I look at the timing mark and sure enough =
it
advances when I yank on the throttle cable.  Feeling like a complete idio=
t,
I believe I've solved the problem.  Then i look at the exhaust, at idle,
and it's black smoke (not blue).  Well, I lean it out 3 flats and I can't=

see black smoke, it also revs past 3500 rpm and advances when i shine the=

strobe on the pulley marks.  Boss, I think, so I get in and go for a driv=
e.
 Well, I hadn't gone 100yds when the damn thing starts backfiring and no =
go
over 3000 rpm. Back to square one.
        Now, I'm thinking it's the bloody carbs, specifically giving me a=
over-rich mixture at idle.

Regards,     Adrian  (approaching the end of my tether)