Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 16:37:45 -0400
Christopher!

You may have something!   I removed the fuel filter and then put a gauge =
on
the fuel line, before it connects to the carbs.  When the ignition was
turned on (engine not running) the gauge read 3 psi, as expected.  Turnin=
off the ignition, the reading dropped immediately to zero.  The gauge
instructions say the pressure should hold for a few minutes, so this coul=
be where the problem is.  The instructions say if the pressure does not
hold "it is an indication of leaks, a broken diaphragm or worn valve". =

Presumably they mean the diaphragm and valve in the fuel pump. =

Incidentally, i used this gauge on my 1500 Midget a couple of weeks ago t=
test the pump and on that car the gauge did hold pressure for over 5 mins=
,
so i think the gauge is OK

I should mention that my problem first occurred coming home one day at a
fair rate of speed.  One of the first things I done was then to replace t=
he
SU pump with an electronic pump for Pep Boys.

Anyway, I've just crawled under the car and checked for leaks and
re-tightened all the rubber gas lines to and from the pump.  (This didn't=

make any difference to the reading dropping off when I rechecked the
pressure)  I also replaced the rubber hose from the tank to the metal pip=
(which leads to the rubber hose connected to the intake of the pump).
Before replacing this hose, which was fine BTW,  I blew down into the tan=
from the metal pipe coming out of the tank and could hear it bubbling
inside the tank.  Then I blew through the pipe leading to the pump and ga=
came out of the (disconnected)  tube leading into the carbs.  What I'm
trying to say is I don't believe there is a leak anywhere (Hmm, unless it=

is a pinhole in the gas line)   I can see no gas leaking anywhere
(obviously!)

Then I collected some gas in a container and worked out it's pumping 32
gall/ hr  (The manufacturer says 30 gall/hr - so that's OK.

Think I'll replaced that "armoured" gas line that connects the carbs.  It=
's
old but I can blow through it OK.  It's obviosly not leaking any gas that=
can see but...

What do you think?

Regards,    Adrian    (Hope springs eternal)